“Fire! Fire!” Said Mrs. McGuire

“Fire! Fire!” Said Mrs. McGuire

Book Layout & Prepress

“Fire! Fire!” jacket
May 5th, 2005

“Fire! Fire!” is one of the projects I did as the assistant of Vladimir Radunsky in Rome between 2004 and 2005. I worked with Radunsky in his pretty nice studio in Trastevere. I have many memories from that time, and I learned a lot from Vladimir. I was actually introduced to Radunsky by Vera Khlebnikova, an artist I had met in Finland in 2001. It’s a small world, it really is.

“Mr. Raschka said Mr. Radunsky moved with his family to Rome when his daughters were still fairly young because he wanted ‘to be surrounded by beautiful things.’”

“Fire! Fire!” was an experiment in reproducing and assembling Radunsky’s illustrations in screen-printed like vector graphics pieces. I created an image-processing based on pre-determined graphic filters (what today is described as an “action” by Adobe), researched the “untidy” display typeface(s) that embodied the qualities Radunsky was after, and prepared all the book layout and prepress, including the die-cut specs for the keyhole — on the jacket, hard cover, and three pages to the last one (surprise). The data was shipped via an FTP connection to New York City.

The money for “Fire! Fire!” Said Mrs. McGuire came from a division of Harcourt, a publishing company that no longer exists.

Material: GraphicConverter, Streamline, Illustrator, Acrobat.

View Project